Sunday, July 5, 2009

Last Day in Prague

The weather reports predicted clouds and rain all weekend, but we've been lucky: sunshine the entire time we've been here! I'm blogging from the hostel. I just had breakfast, and the others are getting ready for the day. I don't know yet what we'll do, but our bus back to Wuerzburg doesn't leave until midnight. We're getting back to Wuerzburg at around 5 am, in time for our morning language classes at 9:15. I predict that many people won't make it, and I think I'll be more accurate than the meteorologists.

Prague is beautiful. The city, for such an old one, has a very light atmosophere... I'm not sure exactly what it is that makes me feel that way, but I'll try to put it into more exact terms later. Yesterday afternoon, we went to Prague Castle, and St. Vitus Cathedral was incredible. The other art history students and I had a really good time putting our newfound knowledge to the test and deciphering the story behind its architecture. As evening set in, we walked back down through the gardens on the castle ramparts and the vineyards on the side of the hill, and made our way to Charles' Bridge, which we ambled around as the sun was setting.

I've tried goulash and bread dumplings, and the famous Czech dark beer, which I rather liked, even though I'm generally not a big fan of beer. We went to an open-air bazaar as well, where they sold all kinds of knick-knacks. Many of these Eastern Europeans don't smile much, but I'm not sure if that's because we tourists are so obnoxious, or if it's the lingering effects of communism, which J seems to think. We celebrated the Fourth of July in the good old-fashioned American way, by visiting the huge shopping mall, the Palladium.

Time to go pack, and explore more of this lovely city.

No comments:

Post a Comment